Sunday, January 04, 2015

Favourite Euro Crime Reads of 2014 - Sarah

In today's instalment of the Euro Crime reviewers' favourite reads of 2014, Sarah Ward reveals her favourite Euro Crime titles:

Sarah Ward's favourite reads of 2014

Thomas Mogford - Hollow Mountain
I’ve come to this series in the third book and I’d love to go back and read the earlier ones. Mogford is an excellent writer. The books are thrillers set in Gibraltar with a hard edge and excellent characterisation. The place comes alive in Mogford’s hands and I wish I’d discovered this author sooner.

Hans Olav Lahlum - The Human Flies tr. Kari Dickson
Delightfully retro and with a tightly contained plot, Lahlum’s book was the star translation for me this year. Another writer that I can’t wait to read again.

K T Medina - White Crocodile
A debut novel set partly in Cambodia. The writing is excellent and a sense of menace dominates the narrative set amongst landmine clearance. I can’t wait to see what comes next from this talented writer.

Andrew Williams - The Suicide Club
As soon as I got the book, I wanted to read it which is a mark of the quality of Williams’s writing.

Sarah Hilary - Someone Else's Skin
This is a debut novel for Sarah Hilary and the first in a series featuring Marnie Rome. She has managed to give us something new with her detective inspector. Marnie has her own secrets which she partially gives up towards the end of the novel. I suspect there are more to come.

1 comment:

Little Grey Doll said...

Another "vote" for KT Medina. I must look out for this one.